Amidst other recent and amazing Ultra Music Festival news, (yes, the Miami edition will be returning home to Bayfront Park!) we have further buzz to share surrounding the world-renowned festival’s sustainability project. UMF has officially committed to continuing ‘Mission: Home’ in 2020 after reports show 2019 efforts were successful.
The environmental organizations noted that attendees followed suit, “We were thrilled that the venue appeared exceptionally clean. There were enough waste stations, appropriate messaging, and volunteer staff to establish the social expectations, which the attendees followed.” Virginia Key Beach Park Trust Special Events Liaison, Michelle Swaby-Smith, agreed, “The sustainability plan ‘Mission Home’ was like no other. We were astonished at how clean the park was… even the attendees did their part,” she wrote in an email to City of Miami Commissioners.
“We are happy to announce that our Mission: Home sustainability initiatives including our Leave No Trace policy, single-use plastic reduction efforts and recycling program will continue in 2020 and beyond.” – Ultra’s Senior Manager of Sustainability, Vivian Belzaguy
2019’s edition was applauded for “setting the bar in festival greening,” and earned Ultra an “A” on an unbiased, third-party report card compiled by VolunteerCleanup.org, Surfrider Miami and Debris Free Oceans.
Environmental education content available throughout the event reached roughly 55,000 attendees per day for three days. A video about the Leave No Trace initiative aired on Ultra’s YouTube channel, which garnered 30 million views over the course of the weekend. All of Ultra’s Mission: Home sustainability initiatives were shared online, creating a sustainability model for events all over the world to see.
Below is a summary of some of the project’s most notable marks:
- 100% percent of recycling loads were accepted by the local facility
- Avoided the use of 526,000 single-use plastic items
- 31% of the waste created during the event was diverted from landfill
- 60,360 pounds of waste were diverted through recycling and composting efforts
- 56,660 pounds of waste recycled
- Mission: Home education & awareness campaign reached 2.7 million people before gates even opened
- Holly T & PHZES Drop “Writing Stories” on Soave Records
- Mazare & Keepsake Release “Open Heart” ft. Liel Kolet Ahead of Forthcoming EP
- Musical Freedom Records Delivers New BYOR Single, “Keep On Dancin'”
- Governors Ball 2021 to Celebrate 10 Years at Citi Field With Star-Studded Lineup
- Joe Stone Releases “Right Here” on Spinnin’ Records [Interview]
- Pierce Fulton, Inspirational Producer & DJ, Passes Away Following Mental Health Struggles
Governors Ball 2021 to Celebrate 10 Years at Citi Field With Star-Studded Lineup
The annual Governors Ball Music Festival returns to New York City — one thing is different about this year’s edition....
Pierce Fulton, Inspirational Producer & DJ, Passes Away Following Mental Health Struggles
Another tragic loss shakes the music scene as Pierce Fulton has died at the age of 28. Renowned electronic music...
Amsterdam Music Festival (AMF) Announces 2021 Lineup, Armin van Buuren, David Guetta, Tiësto & More
It feels like ages since the last Amsterdam Music Festival (AMF). Although there was a spectacular virtual edition in 2020...
ZHU ‘DREAMLAND 2021’ Album Stuns, Secures a Top Album of the Year Spot
A force to be reckoned with, ZHU returns with his third studio album, DREAMLAND 2021, out today (Friday, April 30)...
Afrojack Talks “Hero” With David Guetta, Quarantine & More [Interview]
Afrojack has secured himself as one of the biggest names in electronic dance music (EDM). Between making music, giving back,...
EDC Las Vegas 2021 Update: Festival Postponed Until October
Despite all efforts to make EDC Las Vegas 2021 take place in May 2021, Insomniac Events and founder Pasquale Rotella...